|Amtrak Cascades train 500 of January 27, 2008 departs Vancouver shrouded in heavy fog.|
The Vancouver, WA Railroad Radio covers the BNSF and UP operations from Vancouver, WA in the north to Coalca, OR in the south and from the Portland-Vancouver metropolitan area in the west to Stevenson, WA and Cascade Locks, OR in the east. The stream also covers Portland & Western operations in and around the Portland, OR area.
| Brooklyn Sub (map)|| East Portland to Coalca|| Portland|
| Brooklyn Sub (map)|| Coalca to Eugene|| Valley|
| Portland Sub (map)|| Cascade Locks to Portland|| Portland|
| Seattle Sub (map)|| North Portland Jct. to East Portland || Portland|
- P&W Astoria District (map), Albany Dispatch - Willbridge to United Jct. (160.875)
- P&W OE District (map), Albany Dispatch - Wilsonville to Tigard (160.425)
- P&W OE District (map), Albany Dispatch - Eugene to Wilsonville (160.770)
- P&W Seghers District (map), Albany Dispatch - Hillsboro to Stimson (160.215)
- P&W Tillamook District (map), Albany Dispatch - Banks to CP Farmington (160.425)
- P&W Toledo District (map), Albany Dispatch - Albany to Toledo (160.845)
- P&W United Railways District (map), Albany Dispatch - United Jct. to Banks (160.875)
- P&W West Side District (map), Albany Dispatch - Corvallis Jct. to Cook (160.215)
- P&W Wilamina District (map), Albany Dispatch - Whiteson to Willamina (160.215)
- P&W Willsburg District (map), Albany Dispatch - CP Bonita to Willsburg Jct. (160.425
- Oregon Pacific East Portland Division - East Portland to Milwaukie(161.190)
- Oregon Pacific Mollala Division - Canby to Liberal (160.575)
Defect Detectors Heard
BNSF Fallbridge Sub - MP 19.8, MP 37.6, MP 48.4
UP Portland Sub - MP 23.0
UP Portland Sub - MP 38.0
P&W Astoria District - MP 21.6
P&W OE District - 30.7
P&W OE District - 46.9
P&W Tillamook District - 755.9
The BNSF Vancouver Terminal is made up of 4 main yards. Vancouver Yard located between B Yard and Vancouver on the Seattle Sub. Terminal 6 (T6) is located on a lead from North Portland Jct on the Fallbridge Sub. This yard is shared with the UP. Willbridge Yard is located at Willbridge on the Fallbridge Sub. Lake Yard is located at Lake Yard on the Fallbridge Sub. Lake Yard is operated by BNSF and UP's joint subsidiary Portland Terminal.
UP also has 4 main yards in the Portland area. Barnes Yard is located on the Portland Sub Kenton line west of Peninsula Jct. Albina Yard is located on the Seattle Sub at Albina. Brooklyn Yard is located on the Brooklyn Sub at Brooklyn. Lake Yard is located at Lake Yard on the Fallbridge Sub. Lake Yard is operated by BNSF and UP's joint subsidiary Portland Terminal.
Albina Run Through Yardmaster
The UP Albina Run Through Yardmaster works in conjunction with the Portland Terminal dispatcher and local yardmasters to coordinate train and yard movements in the Portland Terminal. Generally the dispatcher will not line up movements or allow track and time without coordinating with the run through first.
The BNSF has three drawbridges on the Fallbridge sub from MP 5.1 to MP 9.6. All trains must contact the Willamette River and Columbia River drawbridges on the east and west approaches. The Columbia Slough drawbridge is not always manned and is rarely opened. Many times though dispatcher decisions are made based on openings made by the drawbridge operators.
The UP has a drawbridge on the Portland Sub (Graham Line) between East Portland and Portland. All trains must contact the Steel Bridge operator to confirm the bridge is down and locked.
On weekends in December the Oregon Rail Heritage Foundation operates its Holiday Express trains on the Oregon Pacific East Portland Division. Expect to hear the SP&S 700 and the SP 4449 referenced during these times.
Amtrak has three train services that serve Portland and Vancouver. These trains are Cascades, Empire Builder, and Coast Starlight.
See Amtrak for schedule information.
This stream is broadcasting courtesy of
of Vancouver, WA. Follow Steve around the stream area at dogcaught.com.